View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Toyota: \"No Financial Justification in US for Buying Hybrids\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also there are psychic benefits

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only benefit. It is the green's version of conspicuous consumption, and being better than the Joneses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly the "green's version of consipicuous consumption" is one motivation, but there are plenty of other motivations as well.

Regardless of your view of the morality of the tax benefit, it does exist and is therefore another motivation.

Other motivations to buy hybrids include:
1. Some carpool lanes allow hybrids or ultra low emissions vehicles without a passenger (thus, saves time on freeways)
2. Some states require fewer smog checks on low emissions vehicles (thus, saves money on smog checks)
3. Hybrids don't get stolen as often (excluding the hybrid civic)
4. Currently, hybrids retain their value better than non-hybrids

Everyone has a variety of motivations for why they purchased the car they have. Here is my story:

I bought a used 2000 Honda Insight for $9500 two years ago. Kelley Blue Book rates my car worth at least
private party = $9,810
trade-in = $8,260
That's pretty good, I'd say.

I bought my Insight because:
1. I like how it looks. It's space-age cool. It has rear fender skirts! It's awesome!
2. I like how it feels. It's small and cosy, like the womb [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I love it. I can make U-turns anywhere, no problem. I can parallel park anywhere, no problem.
3. It reminds me of the car I had in high school (a Toyota Starlet). The hatchback makes this small car way more versatile than my last sedan. I have loaded it up with all kinds of things.
4. It was a good deal. I didn't get ripped off. It hasn't had any major problems.
5. It stands out in a crowd. Yeah, I draw attention. People always ask me about it. People have even left notes on it with phone numbers. They like it.
6. It never gets vandalized. My last car (Toyota Tercel) was broken into 4 times! But no one touches this car.
7. Since I can go so far on a tank, I'm always up for road trips. It brings back that high school "always want to drive" feeling.

I'm sure I'd like a cabrio or a mini coopper too, but my lil insight is just awesome! I love her!

PS - Mason drives an Insight too, just like mine!