View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Anyone live in Atlantic City Area??

i've lived in AC for over two years early 2002- Jan 2005. Last January, I moved to the suburbs of Northeast Philadelphia because of this phenomenom I heard about called, "Internet Poker". (Also to be near family and friends, since it's where I grew up)

I agree with Bishop22, you are better off living in a nice area and playing poker online. I basically left Atlantic City because I found no reason to stay in such a slum area to play online poker, where I can be doing it anywhere. There are positives and negatives living in AC. The positives is that you are not forced into marathon sessions because you live in the neighborhood. If a game does not look good, you can always go home. You won't be forced into any games you do not want to be a part of. Other than that, I see no other positives.

The city itself is runned down and very old unless you work your way towards the better side of Ventor (pass tropicana side) or Brigantine (near Borgata). The city is very depressing around this time of the year when it's just cold and slummy.

If you do plan on going with your motive of moving to AC, i strongly suggest you do not live in Atlantic City, but rather Ventor, Brigantine, or suburbs like Absecon or Rent-Friendly Pleasantville. I never lived in Pleasantville myself, but that's just what I assume.

There's just too many positives as to playing on the internet instead of live. Besides for the obvious (getting more hands, better rake, no tipping--although I strongly encourage tipping) AC is just not a very friendly city. You will have a tough time socially without running into degenerates. I can almost gaurantee that the friends you make will be the wrong types of friends. The real cool people that are worth be-friending will want nothing to do with you, and the degenerates will always put you in a bad spot where you will be loaning them $400-$500.

Not to discourage you, but I've also ran into alot of short-session wonders who thought they could be a pro after a few good sessions. You will find these kids mostly in the 1-2, 2-5 NL games. They start living at AC for weeks at a time until eventually they go broke. It's not quite to Foxwoods level yet, in terms of young broke "professional" poker players who is always looking to get staked or a loan, but you can see true degeneracy and obsesssive compulsive disorder from these kids.

Sorry, I got sidetracked. If you have any specific questions, please PM me or give me your AIM.