View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: The heat is on. Fox News special review

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

All I know is we are capable of finding a way out of our predicament but aren't doing anything about it. The status quo is [censored] and it's time for our leaders to step up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think the status quo is pretty awesome. Oil, a product that almost everyone on the planet uses in large quantities, only costs $2.50 a gallon. How cool is that?

You know why we aren't using any alternative energy sources at the moment? It's because oil is cheap. When hydrogen fuel cells become cost effective, then people will use them. Same for wind, solar, whatever.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree to a point. I think the issue made earlier rested on developing an alternate source that is commercially viable BEFORE the price of oil screws the world.

We're caught in a Catch-22 - the alternatives aren't cheap enough so no one uses them and since no one uses them they aren't developed enough to be cheap.

The oil companies are the ones making the money right now AND they have a pretty good handle on Washington D.C. - so the government really has no motivation to develop alternative fuels. Actually, their policy seems to encourage oil consumption...

I would think that the oil companies themselves would be working very hard at the next energy source because whoever figures it out, is gonna make Bill Gates look poor. They have all the resources required. Also, when Peak Oil does arrive and we have the alternate source, China is gonna be our bitch.

-Aqua