View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Living in the US, Learning the English Language

[ QUOTE ]
However, it's also true that our governments, federal & local, spend an incredible amount of money catering to people that refuse to learn to speak English.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then this has nothing to do with Spanish, it is all languages. If you actively support and want to discuss a nationalized language then I would be happy to read your ideas in the politics forum.

[ QUOTE ]
In some cases, it's dangerous not to be able to read signs (ie. traffic signs.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing English is not necessary to drive in the US. There is very little English used, and when it is used, the shape and color of the sign indicate the same meaning.

[ QUOTE ]
However, it's also true that our governments, federal & local, spend an incredible amount of money catering to people that refuse to learn to speak English.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in San Diego, a city highly populated with Spanish speakers, attended a high school in which 55% of the students were immigrants, and have several friends that grew up speaking Spanish. With what I consider to be quite a bit experience I have NEVER met someone (kid, parent, grandparent) who simply refused to learn the language for the sake of stubborness or whatever. There are many, many different reasons why some people don't learn English, and unless it is a requirement, we don't have the right to make them.

Also, I think it would be interesting if you could find a study that details how much money the govt invests. As I've indicated, I don't particularly care since it is not requirement, but it would probably further any chances of intelligent discussion.

Apologies for the bigot remark, I believe you.