View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Don Adams dead at 82

I loved Get Smart. Mel Brooks made it. Top quality stuff, often very very funny.

Don Adams' clipped voice made almost everything he said funny.

I loved the idiotic Cone of Silence where they couldn't even hear each other, and his great way of infuriating his oh-so-patient Chief. The Chief was a truly great straight man. Their interactions were priceless, and what I waited the whole show to see. This guy should be appreciated as one of the greats. I loved to watch his face as he tried to deal with Max, who was usually oblivious he was even being a problem.

I loved Max's puffed-up heroism in the face of danger, which would usually instantly crumble into shameless grovelling instantaneously.

This was a show that didn't even need much in the way of situations to be a situation comedy; the characters were so good you just waited for THEM to happen more than things to happen to them.

I thought Agent 99 was pretty hot too. She often had a sort of purring sexual undercurrent in almost everything she did. Hot stuff!

It's too bad Adams never did anything of note after Get Smart. He did that one terrible movie, The Nude Bomb, on the Get Smart! theme. He may have done another, I forget. But basically he was over when the show ended. I think he was kind of like Gilligan or something that way -- so completely perfect that he was probably too typecast to play anything else. Movies and t.v. were far less forgiving in those days, and people didn't cross over very often at all.

R.I.P, Max. Thanks for being so cool and giving us so much fun while you lasted!