Thread: Poker goals
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Poker goals

[ QUOTE ]
Should I do some serious bonus whoring

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely NOT. Bonus whoring is for schmucks who want to get their poker money not by really being a good player, but by simply fleecing the bonus systems. While their ARE some bonuses you should take advantage of, not all are as good as they appear, and you might spend a lot more effort than it's worth to GET those bonuses. Prime example is UB. It takes between forever and five hundred years to clear their stupid 100% deposit bonus. However, at party, their 20% bonus and 15% re-deposit bonuses cleared quite quickly, within a day or two. I STILL have bonus money on UB that's uncleared, and I doubt I will EVER clear it, because I just don't like the site enough to play there. I may get a higher BONUS one place, but I make more MONEY other places. Keep this in mind.

[ QUOTE ]
99% of my play has been at .50/1.00 and below in rings, and $10 and below in SnGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

So at this time, you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what it's like to play against better competition. Don't be in too much of a hurry to make large jumps in stakes tho, learn to beat the stupidly loose games before graduating to the tougher ones. the competition at 1-2 is no better than at 50c-1.00. When you get to 3-6 you might notice a somewhat tighter game, and 10-20 is definitely tougher than 3-6 in virtually all cardrooms, including online. The competition at SNGs doesn't really improve that much until you get to the $50 or $100 level, and even then it'll still often be magoo city.

[ QUOTE ]
Venture into other formats and games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recommend H/L stud. you MUST read the book first tho! But it will increase your understanding of concepts and hand reading abilities greatly. Plus the magoo factor at H/L stud is really high, often the high-chasing magoos have little chance of winning if they play very long. Don't be one of the "limit hold'em only till the day I die cuz I'm too chicken to every play anything else" schmucks! Diversify and grow!

al