Thread: Swings in PLO
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Swings in PLO

again, someone correct me if my thinking is off... in PLO one will be put in many situations where they will be pushing a small edge (i.e. something like set vs. a big wrap on flop or AAxx vs. 89TJ all-in preflop), so many times they will not win, but in the long run they will be a winner if they have the edge more often than not. in limit hold em, you might be pushing similar edges (i.e. something like tptk vs. a flush draw on the flop) but not for your entire stack.

so let's say in a PLO session you are have a 60/40 edge situation 10 times, but you win only 3 of them though theoretically you should win 6 out of 10 (the number of times you actually win 6 will vary greatly). if you're in for your entire stack all 10 times against one opponent with the same stack size (and your stack was the same size initially each time, say 50 bb), you lose your stack 7 times (-350 bb), win your stack back and your opponents stack 3 times (+300 bb), you're down 50 bb for the session in this situation.

now let's say it's the same 60/40 edge situation with limit hold em, and you win 3/10 times. the 7 times you lose, you lose say 4 bb, for a net lost of 28 bb. but the 3 times you win get back say 8 bb, for a net won of 24 bb. this leaves you down only 4 bb for the session compared to a lot more (50 in the example) in the PLO situation.

i know this is an extreme example but it might help show how much variance there is in PLO compared to LHE.

i'm no expert at either game but my win rate for LHE is significantly higher than for PLO.

any other want to correct me or elaborate?