View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: 5/10 rule with tight opponents

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you play against a careful guy that does not pay off your trips, even if he has a decent overpair, do you ever try to represent trips to take the pot away, even if you think he is holding an overpair?

[/ QUOTE ]

And enough of a read to know that he is a thinking player and will actually be able to release the overpair for the fear of a set.

The answer is obvious, but it takes balls to actually do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. You do need balls for this (or boobs if you're a female player I guess...). You also need to have a very good read on the guy you are playing. Often enough you have a lot of hands played/datamined against a guy and can tell he is a rock. That is probably not enough though. He needs to have played a lot of hands against you and know that YOU are a rather tight player as well. If that is true, you should have a good spot for a big bluff.

The next question is how much to bet. Do you have to bet until you've pushed in the entire stack? Probably not. Whatever bet he should interpret as you are willing to go all-in will suffice. Depends on the player I guess, but about 1/3 of your stack should be enough. If he wants to raise that, he will have to go all-in and he can't expect to see the showdown for free.

Hmmm. Must try this some time. I focus too much on getting money from the bad LAGs and make life too easy for the tight players. Guess I will post a hand with results sometime later [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .