View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: POLL---Who is more Reasonable

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Given that there exists not one piece of evidence that god does exist, it is reasonable to think that he does not.

The person who relies on reason to justify their belief in god is no more reasonable than the schizophrenic that thinks his tuna sandwich channels the instructions of the apostle Paul.

In short, if you want to believe in god, reason cannot be your justification, since there are no reasons. Faith is a different topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this.

One of the definitions of reason is:

[ QUOTE ]

3. An underlying fact or cause that provides logical sense for a premise or occurrence: There is reason to believe that the accused did not commit this crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were an Israeli who was born after Moses led your fellow Israeli's out of Egypt (therefore you missed the whole "waters parting" spectacle) and a so-called "prophet" said x was going to happen, and the probability of them knowing x was going to happen at that time was so slim it would make roulette seem like a +EV game, and x did happen - you would have reason to believe what they say, or at the very least investigate their claims and keep an open mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

And tell me, what is this x of which you speak?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, pick any prophecy from the old testament. (it was only the prophets which kept the Jews together)

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the "prophet" making a lucky guess have to do with the reasonableness of god's existence?