View Single Post
Old 05-07-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: TruePokerCEO, if you really want innovation, how about this deal?

[ QUOTE ]
Seems way too ambitious to me... If a site advertises 75% rakeback to all players, even the fish will see it, and the sites profit will diminish.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true, 75% is a lot and perhaps more than they'd be willing to part with even for a high-volume player, but the concept is good. Most of the serious (and likely higher volume players) are aware of the sites out there without having to be steered there by an affiliate. It would be great to be able to have a direct arrangement with a poker site without having to go through a middleman, particularly since in some cases this is technically against the rules of the sites. I know I, and most likely many other players, feel somewhat cheated that I joined various sites directly and missed out on rakeback deals I could have had if we'd known about affiliates at the time. I would definitely play some of those sites more often if they'd give me a deal comparable to what I'd have through a decent affiliate.

While they might lose some rake by giving a break to casual players who would've played there anyway, it would likely be made back through high-volume play from serious players who shop around for a good deal. Furthermore, they could probably structure it so that they don't discount for casual play, but a rakeback would apply if the player's share of rake was at least a certain amount in the month. For example, no break for someone generating under $100 in rake for the month, but if they generate at least $100 rake, knock off 25%, and maybe scale it up for higher volume, say, 35% for $500, and so on. I doubt Party will do anything like this because they have such a dominant market share without it, but for sites like True it could be a big winner. It would also serve to increase the number of games going on the site, which is another positive selling point to attract players.

Personally, I've never played True, mostly because the interface bothers me (it may have changed since I last looked at it though), but I do like their attitude, and if they went with something innovative and player-friendly like this, I would definitely consider giving them a shot.