View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Flopping nut straight with a flush draw on the board

Interesting. I recently had a hand where I was holding JQo and flop cam 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I pushed on the flop and got one caller, with 77 (one was 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]). He hit the 6 of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the river.

I think one of the problems with pushing here is that you lose all your money if they hit on either street, even if they do call you with somewhat less than proper oddss. Thus pushing is +EV if you can insure incorrect odds for everyone else. However, I think that the best move might be just to raise 2/3 pot here (so raise to $17). This shows strength, and might even fold out a lower flush draw. Then I would see what happens if a spade falls, depending on who calls.

The real problem here is that facing two people, you don't know what turn cards you should slow down on. If the board pairs, another spade comes, any 9, any Q, you might now be beat. Tough call. However, if none of these falls, I say just push the turn, unless you've pushed the flop.