View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Ring game player poppin his cherry questions (low quality)

[ QUOTE ]
1. My first question doesn't need to be that complicated. To simplify it lemme post it this way. All other factors being equal, against an equally skilled opponent, how much equity advantage is neccessary to make 3 betting the correct play.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you ask it this way, then any equity advantage means you should 3 bet. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
THe entire point of my question was to determine if certain hands that are mild to moderate favorites gain more by being passive and deceptive against an aggressive opponent than simply getting in a little more when you only have a small edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

my point is that to answer this question, you need a way to quantify what you gain "by being passive and deceptive against an aggressive opponent". and doing that means answering all those tricky postflop questions. (or at least the most important ones.)

[ QUOTE ]
If someone could simply list the top 5 factors that swing them towards each line it would be very helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

some important factors are: the number of opponents, the pot size, your (relative) hand strength, your opponents hand range based on the action so far, how vulnerable your hand is to free cards, your opponents semibluffing/bluffing frequency, how your opponent will play the river if you check/bet the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
3. I guess I'm mixed up about this as well. I feel like when I'm being aggressive and he calls, I'm am probably not betting for value except with my greatest hands. The only advantage I've found is that I can get a lot of free cards from him and if I draw out with them I usually get paid off better than usual. I assume there must be much better ways to take advantage of his passivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

yah you do seem a bit mixed up here. but thats ok, its not an easy game. when you bet the turn youre getting immediate odds of 3+ :1 to win the pot right there. so figure out what percentage of the time you need to win right there to break even. its not that high to begin with. then factor in the chance youre betting the best hand and win unimproved on the river, the chance you improve to the winner on the river, etc. and that % you need to pick it up goes down further. like i said these chances have a lot to do with the nature of the board. of course thats not to say that checking is never better. but its wrong to say that you cant bet if youre a dog when called.