View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Ring game player poppin his cherry questions (low quality)

2.:

these things are so hard to answer without more details. these situations are also so difficult. there are alot of factors and to cover would take alot of time.

however, here are some thoughts:

if you openraise and the BB calls, flop comes and its a drawless rainbow flop with a Q+ card as the high card, if you bet and the BB calls what hands could he possibly have other than a pair? unfortunately, some players would peel this flop with ace high even against an EP raise where they have little chance of being ahead and then they donk the river after you check the turn.

this is why i like to take notes the way i do with the whole "pfft, pftfr, pfft ahf" system. i think it makes these situations so much easier to handle.

there are sometimes when i know that the opponent is not folding to a flop bet just because hes a chasing maniac. knowing that, i would only bet the flop if i have showdown value and good pot equity or i have free card value with some form of a draw. if i went on a steal with 67s and the flop came down 9TJ and i know the villain isnt going anywhere ill just give up. likewise with K5 on a 89T board.

even if i think my king high is ahead at this point betting the flop is likely pissing away money. if i bet and he autocalls as he always does, and i check the turn, if he is the type to bluff the river as most of them are i just gave him my money on the flop. i cant take king high to the showdown on this board unless i improved. betting the flop with no folding equity without showdown value is probably a poor thing to do.