View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: after mike sexton\'s CP article....he needs to STFU

I agree this is a bad idea.

So I live in Memphis...so to qualify for the WSOP I'd have to go down to Tunica or New Orleans or Caesar's Indiana to qualify?
Pardon me...but I'll take a pass.
The WSOP-circuit is in Tunica right now and I can't bring myself to head down there because I'm just not that interested.

How many people in the 'real' world can actually swing by AC or Tunica for a few days....and then a month or two later head on over to Vegas for another week or so?

What a pain for people who are not near the qualifying venues.

The reason we have had such an explosion at the WSOP is because of all the internet-qualifiers. So...if I qualify on the internet for the WSOP again does that entitle me to an all expenses paid trip to tunica, Mississippi for the regional event?
Oh goodie!!
Do they then pay for my flight to Las Vegas if I make it that far?

Mike isn't thinking this thing through.
and I very much doubt that the field will double to 11k players or so next year.

What the hell is so wrong with having a cap?
If you only have room for 7k players...then the first 7k players to buy-in or qualify online or via the live satellites get the seats.

I wouldn't have a big problem if they started to gradually raise the buy-in a little bit though (should cut down a little bit on the online-qualifiers).
I think a $12k or even a $15k buy-in wouldn't be too bad.

However...it looked to me like Mike Sexton was getting his way on the PPM cruise because they were raising the buy-in to $14k for this year.
They just recently cancelled that plan and dialed it back to a $10.2k buy-in like before.
So instead of a projected $10-mil prize-pool they are back to a projected $7-mil prize-pool. It just wasn't working out like they had hoped it would I suppose.
They have a bunch of people who have already qualified who are due refunds.
I have two 'tickets' or 'freerolls' for their semifinals which I am due refunds on because the buy-in for those has changed from $535 to $270.

Not sure that raising the price in a similar way for the WSOP would be such a hot idea. I would think that $12k buy-in would be a decent way to test it out without making the change too dramatic.