Thread: Syriana
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Syriana (spoilers)

Spoilers Below:

Do you think that the Matt Damon character was really a company man? That thought is what disturbs me the most about the whole thing.

I agree about the Hezbollah thing. I remember thinking while watching the film that Bob was there in Beirut spearheading perhaps actual military action agianst them following the assassination of the Emir there and blaming them for it. It is plain that if you are a good enough gangster in the Mid East that you will eventually become ruler. Saddam is a good example. What is perhaps more shocking is that the US is willing to turn a blind eye and work with you.

Another good point I thought they made about the lawyer is that even though he found the evidence everyone had tried so hard to cover up, he ends up using it to play ball with the oil types and blackmail his way into a move up by selling out his boss. That was really something. Not unlike the real world at all. As he said, we are ultimately our own client, but you get the feeling that perhaps we are our own nemesis as well.

This movie did pass both my entertainment and making me think tests, so I don't exactly have an adverse reaction. I just thought it fell short of it's potential. I was really expecting 45 more minutes at the end.

And I am now going to have to read the book. Hopefully to find out more about the Clooney character.

X