View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Random Noob Questions

1. The only program I'm familiar with is stud inspector. what does stud tracker do for you? does it break down your play?

2. a higher ante does suit a looser player, but I don't think it is the best place to start for a beginner. if I were you, I would recommend starting at paradise's no ante game and just play really tight. playing tight while you learn the ropes would suit you well.

3. stud inspector keeps track of the dead cards. not a bad program. not really necessary though I don't think.

4. first of all, memorizing the dead cards is semi-overrated. as long as you have a pretty good idea of how live your outs are and a basic idea of how live possible outs for your opponent are, you'll be fine. Just a general impression of there's a lot of spades out... or there's a guy raising with a queen, but two other queens are out... that kind of stuff.
things to keep in mind are how many of the suit are out and duplicate door cards.
it's also nice to take note of 5's and 10's since they are necessary to complete any straight.

that aside, there are definitely some good tricks to remembering cards. the goal is to make it easier on your mind...

first off... concentration and quiet help a lot.
second... try and incorporate them into your "analysis of the hand" for example hmmm teddy kgb raised with a queen even though there is 2 other queens out there... etc.

another thing that is useful is to clump the cards into groups...
instead of remembering 7... 8... 3... 4... 6.... j....
remember 783 46 j. the same reason we break social security numbers into manageable chunks...

say them back to yourself too at least a few times... keep refreshing your short term memory

some people use stacks of pennies or similar "devices"

there was a good post somewhere about memory tricks that may be useful... maybe somebody could post a link