View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: $5+1: What to do with these people.

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be logical to state that if these kind of raises become habitual for this gentleman throughout the tournament, I can then widen my range of calling hands so that TT would be included?

[/ QUOTE ]

To see why calling with TT is problematic, imagine the flop had instead come:

6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

and UTG+2 had bet t65. Now what do you do? The pot is reasonably small, you have a very deep chipstack, and UTG+2 could very well charge you an arm and a leg to prove that your hand is(n't) second-best.

Do you call the t65? Then what do you do in the 45/47ths of the time when the turn card isn't a T?

Do you make a big raise? If either of these goombahs has a K you're just nailing yourself to a cross.

Do you fold? If so, you're paying t85 to play for a set and you're definitely NOT getting the pot odds to do so.

Given that an overcard to your TT will flop 69.5% of the time, you've got to be very worried about this situation. The TT was a beautiful hand until UTG+2 put in a big raise; then it turned to ash.

Side note: limping preflop was probably your worst choice. Many people have advocated folding, and I can't fault them for that, but a big raise (BIG raise -- up to t300 or so) is another viable choice if you think UTG+2 doesn't have two overs to you or if you think he's likely to lay down his hand. The benefit of this play is twofold -- first, he'll lay down quite often and you'll pick up a quick t110, and second is that you steal his folding equity most of the time: rather than make a continuation bet, he'll be more likely to check/fold a scary flop.

Of course, if he comes over the top all-in, you've got a nasty choice to make, and you could easily have the worst of it if you call. The big-raise choice is a scary and dangerous one, which is why most people here just recommend you lay it down and move on to the next hand.