Thread: KJo in the BB
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Re: KJo in the BB

[ QUOTE ]

The added fact that you are often making it profitable for a hand like A8 to call on an KJ8 flop is also something to consider. If your opponents are likely to call anyway, it is worth considering that you may want them to be making the incorrect (from an EV standpoint) play, which will be calling when they don't have odds. You don't want a 5-outer to call getting 9:1+ on an KJ8 flop, but they will. However, if you hadn't raised preflop, they will still be calling on that same KJ8 flop.

This is a horrible argument and bad math.

Do you see why?

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear why. I've taken a melatonin so my brain is certainly a bit on the cloudy side, but I know that I want A8 to be calling getting 4:1 and folding getting 9:1 (technically 8.5:1) on a KJ8 flop.

I know that I want my opponents to play incorrectly. This means folding when they have proper odds to call, and raising or calling when they should be folding. I know that my opponent's most likely action postflop is calling in this game, and I know that by raising preflop, I make it more mathematically correct for them to do what they love: call.

I am willing to accept the fact that at a certain point, preflop equity takes over postflop considerations in whether a raise preflop is more +EV than checking my option. I am currently unwilling to accept that KJo meets these requirements -- my guesstimate is that I would need to be gaining more than 30% of the equity to be making this raise.

Rob