View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Playing -EV in high stakes = +EV?

[ QUOTE ]
We've all read small stakes hold'em. We all know pot odds etc.

Yet when we get to high stakes games like 50/100 and 100/200, a lot of the rules change.

We no longer raise aces every time, we don't always protect our hand and we constantly raise and check-raise with nothing.

All of these are very basic mistakes that I am pointing out to people who just started playing, don't go too far with marginal hands, only raise when you know you got it etc.

Plays like betting on the flop right away with 2 pair as opposed to waiting till turn to check-raise. ALl of these are common schemes on 50/100 I find, whereas they are nowhere to be found in 30/60 and below games.

This confuses me a great bit. Is this what being "tricky" is? This is what separates high stakes players from average crowd?

Discuss [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What separates high stakes players from everyone else is generally bankroll and/or a lack of risk aversion along with a strong enough grasp of a particular poker game that in their mind warrants them to play high stakes.

The biggest difference in high(er) stakes games is the aggression level, and since the group of players, like, for instance at 1/2 on party isn't nearly as large as it is for 15/30, players often pickup on specific playing styles from playing with the same opponents so long, and therefore play accordingly, which, to the naked eye might appear as exert, lunatic, passive, or whatever.

The answers to your questions can be found in the archives. I agree that the forums have a little excess arrogance, but IMHO, this post wont spark any good discussion because it's already been discussed ten times over.

Tex