View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Conversation with Bartholow..

[ QUOTE ]
I think Beer's right here. I sometimes think that the collective wisdom of the board is too tight, both on third and sometimes later on. People suggest that you should fold something like 80% of hands on third, which suggests that you voluntarily put money in the pot about 14-15%. Intuitively, that seems very tight for an eight handed game, whatever the ante is. I've been trying to play some more hands - things like JT9, K44 and flushes with two of the suit out, obviously, depending on the situation. I think this can be profitable if you can play better than your opponents generally. Also, is there not an advantage in playing hands that are roughly break-even, in that they make you harder to read, and more likely to be paid off when you hit a hand.

I also think that, if you want to eventually play at higher stakes games, having more practice dealing with marginal hands can only help.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think anyone flat out says to fold something like 9TJ. it is all situational as you say. If you can limp in, your straight cards are live, and you are late to act/dont think it will be raised behind you, if you fold you are so tight that will earn more money by putting a lump of charcoal up your ass.