View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 05:48 AM

Default Re: after mike sexton\'s CP article....he needs to STFU

Yes it's a stupid idea. Simply raising the entry to $25K will solve the "problem" of a huge field - if that really is a problem.

Mike is locked into an old-skool mindset where poker belongs to a small cadre of players [who wouldnt have to qualify of course] and all the Internet wannabes are lucky to even be at the same table. Using the US Open golf as an example betrays this as of course only a tiny, tiny number of amateur players actually make it through the qualifying to join the pros.

Sexton:

[ QUOTE ]
Bigger is better only in terms of larger prize pools and more players wanting to participate in the game we love — and compete at the highest level. However, in terms of players being taken care of better today than yesteryear, I wouldn’t consider it an improvement. Give me Jack Binion’s hospitality, comps to the players, and the lavish buffets back in the ’80s any day.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK so there's 100X more players, more money, more media interest but no full steak dinner comps like the few dozen players got in the 80s. Waaaaaaaaaah!!!

I find it difficult to waste any further time on Mike's views if he genuinely feels this is a legitimate analysis of the state of the WSOP.