View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 02:42 AM

Default More job advice - salary negotiations

A few of you may remember a while back I was looking at fighting for a big raise, or walking away from my job.

I found another solution. I will be moving within our department, under the supervision of a different manager (who is still supervised by my current boss). I will be moving into a supervisory role within another residential unit. Sort of like an assistant manager position, basically supervising one end of the shift. This is really exciting for me considering my age and the fact that the salary will exceed the ammount I had requested in my fight for a raise.

So my new supervisor offered me the job at salary 'x'. I get a call today from my current boss telling me he is putting through the paperwork as we speak. I'm supposed to be excited. Then he tells me what he put it through for and it's $1000 less than what I was offered. I balk at it but he tells me firmly that's the price. Then he tells me that's pending the associate executive director, who may need a little 'wiggle room.' The guy is a known penny pincher.

This is a game to these guys. How much can we cut costs? They know I want to move badly and they'll probably try and get me for another 1k before it's over. I know that my new boss (who, despite being supervised by my current boss, holds a lot of sway and is very well respected at the top levels of administration - I think he's been tagged for big things down the road) really wants me in the position and I respect him a lot. I also know that other (albeit far more experienced) staff have turned the job down at my original price.

My thinking is, if they try to slash it anymore, I will make my stand and demand the original price, refusing the move until they give it to me. Thoughts? I am in good standing with all parties involved (so far).

NT