View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: maybe interesting steal gone somewhat wrong 5/10

Hi Lethal Rose,

I'm a poker dork. I'm always the one who feels the need to spell this stuff out explicitly. This is very important, so pay attention.

[ QUOTE ]
If its +EV pot odds wise to call a push dont we want our opponent to push? An overbet or push might cause him to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

+EV can mean different things. If you say a play is +EV, that could mean that a)It makes money from that point on, which means it's a non-folding action that's better than folding (because folding breaks even), or b) that it's THE MOST +EV play, compared to all other plays in that spot.

In this hand, you have the two meanings confused. So, if we bet pot and get raised all-in, then calling that raise will make more money than folding will. It's +EV in that sense. But this is not to say that betting and calling a raise with the worst hand is the most +EV situation that could arise. It would be better for us if our opponent folded to our bet, so we didn't have to try to suck out. Winning the pot immediately with our flop bet is better than calling to hit the straight. This is true for everyone except me; I'm the luckiest.