View Single Post
Old 08-01-2003, 01:56 AM

Default Re: General Advice on Big Bet Hold\'em

[ QUOTE ]
When replying to other posts I often find myself saying the same things over and over, so I thought I'd combine some of my thoughts on big bet Hold'em into one coherent post. Comments welcome.

1. If you are new to big bet always bet/raise exactly the pot.

While it may be safe for beginners, I disagree with this. Sometimes you want to trap your opponents...get more money in the pot by underbetting your hand. Not all successful NL/PL Hold'Em players make their money from all-ins.

2. Unless the stacks are short, pre-flop doesn't matter.

You can avoid these hands based on the pre-flop action. Pre-Flop matters. Obviously what you do for the rest of the hand depends on what cards flop, but depending on the action pre-flop can you assess if your A,Qo is good or not.

3. A call is a scary play.

I agree to a point. Calling is beneficial obviously with draws or slowplaying or sandbagging.

4. Be patient.

This also applies in 10-20 games as well.

5. Know your opponents.

What do you suggest to someone who hasn't played with a bunch of guys at a home game before and the game $1-$3 PL Hold'Em?

7. Don't play with money that matters to you.

Agreed. Players must know their limits on what they can afford to lose. This doesn't mean you expect to lose when you play, but in reality, losing is going to happen. Assess what you can and can't lose and play the right limit game accordingly.

9. Know the odds.

Do you know of any online sites that has these odds listed?

10. Keep yourself out a tough spots.

I learned this the hardway last PL game. I held AKo, BB held AJo (maybe suited?). I raised, he called. Flop A,J,x. I lost a lot of money on that hand.

I hope this has been helpful to some of you, and good luck in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good post...well written and described.