View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Back to work? Opinions needed!

Like everybody else said, take the job.

Even you hate it and wind up quitting -- it's STILL more money in your pocket. Various other reasons why you taking a job can be a good idea:

That unemployment won't last forever. You need to go back to work again if you want your 13-week clock rewound. Plan ahead now for when you quit again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

See if your new employer offers matching funds for an IRA or a 401K or anything like that. If he does, max it out. Free money is still a good thing even if you have to wait to get your hands on it.

Even if he doesn't offer a match or if you go above it, an ideal time for you to rack up savings while you have two incomes. For instance, did you contribute to your IRA in 2004? You have two weeks left to get the check in the mail before Tax Year 2004 is history!

I personally regard the fact I can make more playing poker than I can flipping burgers as a sort of unemployment insurance - spending money/retirement money while I have a good job, something to keep me from starving if I find myself between jobs unexpectedly. (And something that I can schedule around whatever interviews or opportunities come along!)

I get by in the academic world, hate the very thought of the corporate world. Maybe in a year or two's time I'll be inclined to think about quitting - but not something to do the instant you think you can get away with it.