View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Tipping the Dealer in a Home Cash Game

I play in this game every Sunday night at a guy's house. Nice guy, runs a pretty smooth game, no crazy rules or anything. All games are center dealt, almost always by him (he has a thing for dealing, he enjoys it above what a normal person would. He's no mechanic, or if he is he sucks at it as his results show.). Often when he hits the felt he'll "take a break" and just deal. The last couple times, he's kind of jokingly, kind of not said "don't forget your dealer" after big hands. People started tipping him. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but it shocked me. I don't know if people were just going along or what, but it surprised the hell out of me and I thought it was pretty bad form. The guy waits, accumulates a decent stack of tips, then plays with them. Am I wrong to think this is bad? On the one hand, he's a decent dealer (although could be faster), the center dealt game makes the hands come faster, and he does run a pretty good weekly game. On the other hand, people often offer to deal, and he says no, he likes to deal. Further, he's not shy about asking for donations to keep the fridge stocked, even though most people byob. If people want to tip I guess that's fine, but then I feel a little pressure to tip myself.

Thoughts?