View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Trying to learn PLO

Pardon, I made a mistake, the correct number should be 7.333 instead of 8.5.

This is based on the assumption that you will always check and fold on the flop if you do not hit a set, I am ignoring straights, flushes, and hitting two-pair or better with your side cards.

It is also under the assumption that you will always get your opponent all in on the flop if you do hit a set no matter the size of the stack.

All of these assumptions require a bit much that can be expected in a typical game, but still illustrate the fact that you would need fairly large stacks to call the raise. The larger the stacks the better it is.

The math is as follows:

When it comes back to him preflop he has to call 26$ to win the potential $103 in the pot (or more likely 77$ if UTG+2 doesn't come in.)

Our hero is now contributing $26 to win $77 of "other" money. With out assumptions that he will fit-or-fold on the flop he needs to get at least 7.33-1 on this money or $191 total on his $26 bet in order to break even EV-wise.

Take the $191-$77 = 118$. So, theoretically, if his opponent and he have $118 in their stacks the call is break-even. The bigger the stacks the more profitable the call becomes. This requires both players to start with stacks of $149 minimum.

This is the line I think through when contemplating calls like this. Although, generally I would require stacks much larger in order to make this call simply because many times you will not get all of your opponents stack and other times you may lose to a secondary draw.

It is entirely possible that my logic or maths are flawed.

Guy? Dogs? Anybody want to pick me apart?