View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Using ALL CAPS doesn\'t strengthen your position

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
m, you can stop debating the retards now. no one with half a working brain has a problem with the banning. no need to defend yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to see that name-calling is on the decrease under the MMMMMM regime. I look forward to seeing how this trangression is haqndled.

[/ QUOTE ]

LL....I hear what you're saying, but I, for one, cannot hold M directly responsible for what others say. That's just not fair.

My whole point in this exchange with M has been that there are bigger issues here. He seems to disagree, and that's also ok. Other folks also agree with him.

I will call into the discussion again, however, the fact that those in any position of power have a responsibility to be extremely mindfull surrounding the climate that their particular point of view can encourage.

I also have no problem with the name calling, as I happen to feel that people are entitiled to their opinion.

These kinds of posts/exchanges seem to mostly end up the same way. Snappy, dismissive one-line put downs of someone who's posts you disagree with. I find it to not be coincidental that this type of thinking is reflective of whatever ethic seems to be in favor at a particular time, regardless of the political leaning.

That's pretty sad, IMO, but lemmings have been running of off cliffs for ages.....Why should today be any different?

FWIW, I think that it shows an incomplete understanding of human dynamics and politics in general. We're all human, and when the thickness of our skin gets so thin that it overrides our ability to be objective & fair, there is generally a price that we pay somewhere down the line.

There are many folks who think that they already have all of the answers. Their closed-mindedness and surety of their position scares me.

It's a bit like poker: there are many who are preponderantly results oriented. To them, that's the only thing that matters. So be it.

To me, it's all about making correct decisions, and learning from your mistakes. Your game gets better, and the EV will eventually take care of itself.

Another way of saying the same thing is that it is the journey that matters, not the destination. Hell, we all know what our destination is, don't we? As far as I'm concerned, it's the path that we take to get there that really matters.

Once anyone loses their capacity to be open minded, they are stuck in time.

For those who want to expand their horizons, I would suggest sitting back and reading some Gibbons, Dickens and Orwell. Perhaps that might open some new avenues.

Or, one can take the position of Madame LaFarge......just sit there and knit more names into the scarf, contentedly smug in the surety of their position.

That's what free will is all about.....You pays your money and you takes your chances.......