View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 07:47 AM

Default The secret is here

If you have read all the books and think you understand them and are still losing money at low limit tables for any significant period of time you need to either 1) reread the books thoroughly or 2) give up because you have no talent for the game

Those low limit games are so easy to beat that if you lose 500 bucks or so playin 2-4 or 3-6 you might wanna give up. Just one man's opinion.

I don't care how many people are chasing. When you have AK or AQ and flop top pair you should bet all the way and expect to scoop a huge pot a good % of the time. But don't call 2 bets cold on the turn anytime unless you have at least 2 pair or a pair + nut flush draw. Otherwise, with no pair fold on the flop but with the nut flush draw raise a multiplayer pot for deception/value or with AK you can call till the river with 2 overcards to a gutshot straight otherwise OUT on the flop. Low limit games are like atms that dispense small amounts of money. Just grind it out with big cards and pairs and don't gamble with marginal hands.

Trust me I used to crush those games. It is easy but takes loads more discipline than most people have. You never make fancy plays and are mechanical. But your success at poker is measured by how much money you win. Nothing else matters...thus you must find a way to win money no matter how boring it is unless you want to be a fish. When you get good at the low limit games you can move up and then the real fun starts. You can make money and have lots of mental stimulation playing poker. It only gets better as you move up. But only if you have proven you can win at lower levels.

Of course there is nothing wrong with playing for fun. Just don't expect to win money consistently.

PS - Lisa I saw the magic word in your post - "tilt." If you tilt either learn to control it or find another hobby. People who tilt consistently can't beat any poker game. Perhaps tournament play would suit you better if you can not control your tilt. In the last 5 years I have gone on tilt (I define a tilt as lasting at least 1 hour) 2 times and each time it cost me at least $2000 at 20-40. Assuming you are a good 20-40 player making 2 big bets an hour on average you see that one 2-4 hour tilt session takes about 24 hours to make back.