Thread: The Check-Raise
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 02:33 AM

Default The Check-Raise

For the most part, the check-raise is a pretty strong move. In optimum position at the perfect time, a check-raise can gain many more bets from a multi-way pot when your hand is strong.

It can also get your opponent(s) to fold a better hand in a short-handed pot.

Being the check-raiser can be both exciting and profitable. The rush of trying to pull off a big bluff or semi-bluff on the turn, or the satisfaction of getting more value for your monster hand when the time is just perfect.

However, being on the other end of a check-raise sucks balls. How often do you respect it? In general, what hands are we against when check-raised? Two pair? A set? Nothing at all?

Regardless of the opponent, from my experience, the check-raise forces us to think... more. Rarely is it a stone-cold bluff, even from a maniac. A maniac would rather raise, raise, raise as opposed to being tricky.

I personally don't think that I respect the check-raise enough. I always figure my opponent is trying to make a move on me, and subsequently go into call-down mode.

Instead, I would rather drop my hand or make a stand, but I'm normally unsure as to which decision is best. Therefore, I have a few questions:

1. Do you respect the check-raise for the most part?

2. Does it matter what street it occurs upon (Flop, Turn, River)?

3. What hands do you figure you're up against when check-raised (at minimum two pair, made flush etc)?

My main concern is while holding top pair with no other draws... These situations always get me. It usually doesn't matter whether or not I have a good kicker, 'cause I still only have "one pair".

Of course, table dynamics come into play, as well as whether or not it is a heads up or multi-way pot, but I think the supposed strength of a check-raise regardless of the circumstances deserves attention.

Feel free to elaborate, and thanks for your time.