View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Am I Playing These Wrong???

[ QUOTE ]
Typical players reraise in this spot only with AA, KK, QQ, or maybe AK. This is a narrow enough range of hands to allow the preflop raiser to play his hand more profitably than if he had no idea what your hand was, which is the case when you just call.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should add JJ/TT and sometimes AQs to that range. Also, how does a 3-bet make it easier for QQ-TT or dominated hands that hit a pair to play postflop? In my experience opponents do very little thinking about my range and more about their hand and the board.

[ QUOTE ]
In the situation you describe, just calling a three-bet instead of capping, the situation is essentially the same (out of position against a preflop raiser heads up with a big pair), except you have already raised preflop and your opponent will be able to rule out hands like small pocket pairs, suited connectors, AXs, QJ/JT, and other such hands that people play from the blinds but don't raise preflop (unless you're talking about cutoff/button vs blinds play, which is a completely different story; I assume you're talking about a legitimate raise.)

[/ QUOTE ]
The situation is nowhere near the same. They have shown a lot of strength by 3-betting your raise, a lot more than a sismple preflop raise. You can be sure they will give you action postflop and "feigning weakness" will disguise your hand against a likely very strong hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, while I can see why many people might disagree with my advice, I doubt that it is "awful" because Ciaffone and Brier suggest slowplaying in a similar situation in <u>Middle Limit Holdem Poker</u> on page 277, chapter 32, problem 8. The UTG player raised, you're on the button with AA, and the blinds look like they're about to fold. They say that "This is a perfect spot to slowplay preflop."

[/ QUOTE ]
That's all well and good but I play online and I'm not sure when the blinds look like they'll fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, value is important, but when you're only talking about one more small bet, it's probably worth it in this specific situation to call because the deception you are creating will often win you multiple small bets in the long run because you give away nothing about the strength of your hand. Plus, you can almost always go for the checkraise on the flop and get back the small bet you "lost" preflop. Yes, I agree that slowplaying like this in too many situations is a bad idea and will cost you value. If you had two or more opponents, or if your hand was QQ, reraising is probably better most of the time. But in some specific situations like this one, slowplaying can be very effective.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with you here when talking about your raise being 3-bet as I feel it is a totally different situation. Even then, lately I have been told by very good players that I might as well just cap preflop.