View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: quote from Walter Sinnott Armstrong-atheist

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> "Doesn't this argument go against the request for "proof" requested by many atheists regardig the existance of God? "</font>

Atheists request proof of a god because there are people in this world who claim that gods exists.

Why anyone would request proof that gods do NOT exist is something I'll never understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your logic is good enough reason to believe that god doesn't exist? Why can't it work bothways?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's much easier to prove(*) that something exists (for our common understanding of the term, anyway) than that it doesn't exist. I can SHOW you something to prove(*) that it exists, but just because I can't find it to show it to you, doesn't mean it doesn't exist... SOMEWHERE in the universe. That's why I think it's rational for the burden of proof(*) to be on the person claiming that something exists. Also, there are a lot more things that don't exist than that do exist, so it's also a lot more practical to show what does exist than to show all the things that don't exist.

(*) "Prove" doesn't mean 100% logical/mathematical proof -- there is no such thing in the real world. A "proof" is sufficient evidence to warrant the belief, which varies based on the normalcy of the claim.