View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Semi Bragging and a $200 Reward

This contest is absolutely impossible. First of all, it doesn't take into consideration variations on spelling, as Mason pointed out. In my family, for example, several people changed their surnames as they had no boys to carry on the name. So, they're family members, but, technically they can be excluded from the contest, and, since they are not authors, that automatically increases the percentage of authors by default. You would, somehow, have to be able to confirm the different variations and confirm that they are related. The contest definitely does not take into consideration women who get married and change their surname. I mean, is every female Sklansky a cousin or is it possible it is a woman that married your cousin? What about those females who married, changed their surnames, and are published under a different name? Are they now to be included in a different family, the one they married into, or are they still considered under their origninal family name? Lastly, it does not take into consideration small presses such as some university presses, who's books are not sold on Amazon. I have translated books (technically making me "published", however, this is a huge debate in the translation field) that you cannot purchase on Amazon, let alone the countless university professors who's books are not available on Amazon. What about authors published in other countries? So, how can this contest be considered fair? Thank you David, I would like a copy of Theory of Poker for my contribution.