View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: A theoretical baseball question

[ QUOTE ]
you seem to be under the impression that everytime a hitter gets out its the pitcher that gets him out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all... BUT, there would be less weak groundballs and popups. There are several pitchers who have nasty sliders, but as the OP stated, the pitcher does not know that you know, so it is doubtful that you'd have someone throwing slider after slider. If the hitter knows what is coming, there is much less likelyhood that he'll top the ball to the SS because he got out on his front leg too earlty. You see guys like Manny, ARod, and Pujols who hit everyone hard. Pujols hit .359 in 2003 and I'd guarantee that it would be at least 100 pts higher if he knew every pitch.

We would run a lot of situational hitting/fielding when I was in college, and guys would rip the ball. We would run a lot of hit and run drills. As a LHP, I absolutely hated them because I knew I was most likely gonna take one off the body at sometime (usually my foot) since these guys knew a curveball was coming and had to hit it to the right side. Guys were still hitting ropes to the right side even through they "had" to make contact and were cutting down on their cuts. If you know a curve or changeup is coming, it is much easier to then sit back and groove one.

For a few pitchers, nothing at all would change. Take Tim Wakefield for example. There would be very little change since he throws 90% knukles and everyone already knows it is coming.