View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Check out my read: chatbox (nc)

The comments on this thread remind me why I no longer regularly read this forum. Several people insisted that the OP played so horribly he can't possibly be a winning player. In fact, his play on this hand was reasonable, just unfashionable on this forum, where people seem blind to anything but a simple pushbot strategy that can be implemented for a 10% ROI on 20 tables. There are many winning strategies, some of which have a higher ROI and some of which look very different from what is currently popular here. Many dangerous opponents follow different strategies, and it is worth understanding them.

There's more than one way to f[/i]uck a lightbulb.

[ QUOTE ]

Seat 2: Villain (1790)
Seat 3: Bigstack (3470)
Seat 5: derosnec (2740)
Villain posts small blind (150)
Bigstack posts big blind (300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to derosnec [ 5h, 5s ]
derosnec raises (700) to 700

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising to 700 instead of pushing is not inherently stupid with these stack sizes. It lets you fold if the SB pushes and the big stack calls or reraises. If you get called, you have the advantage of position, and you can get away from an unfavorable flop without losing your stack. If you don't believe me that making such a raise can be reasonable (whether or not I agree with it here; I think it's better to do this with other hands than low pairs), look up past posts by Lorinda and David Sklansky on similar situations.