View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Science vs. Greed and Politics

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, what I'm wondering, is why doesn't anyone listen to the scientists/doctors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure they don't. It's my understanding that tobacco usage in the U.S. anyway has declined precipitously from peak usage. I think most believe that somehow the ingridients in tobacco are harmful and they're not particularly interested in how so. Why doesn't Phillip Morris take a different course? My guess is that when looking at the risk vs. reward tradeoffs, it's not worth it to them. They've basically settled a lot of their litigation in the U.S. and my understanding is that they sell a lot of tobacco products abroad particularly in Asia. That doesn't mean I endorse tobacco usage btw.

Ok what about the effect of fertilizers on other things like food? From the link you provided:

Food borne radon daughters may or may not be absorbed/distributed as efficiently as polonium in tobacco smoke. However, as seen in the above European diet example, food can deliver internal radiation exposure beyond the limits considered safe for external occupational exposure(14). It is not clear how much radioactive content fertilizer contributes to food and how much is naturally present.

It's not clear I think to most that there is a great danger to food products so perhaps people are paying more attention than you might think. That's been my experience. BTW I shop at organic food stores FWIW. However, it's not practical yet for me to have a totally organic diet since I do eat out some.