Thread: 6 max hand - 55
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: 6 max hand - 55

I find that players that are this loose tend to make additional mistakes by either being much too passive, or much too aggressive, relative to the 2+2er. Given this guy's agg. factor, I'd be inclined to put him in the latter camp. Furthermore, I could even see myself c/r'ing that turn without the flush, with a set, for example, although in this case, it'd probably be best to donkbet and avoid giving a lone heart a free card unless the villain tends to be a pretty relentless bettor. Since your play is indicative of many hands that aren't flushes, and that are beaten by sets or even two pair, it's pretty easy for him to be thinking that you don't have a flush and to think that whatever he has is good.

The other thing to see here is how the probability of getting c/r'd on the turn when you're drawing just kills your EV. S&M's argument in HPFAP about checking with outs isn't spelled out as quantitatively as this. The flush, in particular, is instructive because of how violently it murders us when we're drawing dead but feel compelled to draw anyway.

You know, this post has inspired me to want to work out something substantial on the subject of the interplay between the desire to check with outs, the competing desire to semibluff bet for fold equity, and the desire to not give free cards with what might be the best hand. I think that discussion is underexplored.