View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Week 2 NFL Review

Anyone see the end of Arizona/St. Louis? Arizona had first and goal at the 5 down 17-12, with no timeouts and about 30 secs left. Warner was then sacked on the next play, although not for a huge loss. He then elected not to spike the ball, but to hurry up and call another play. Looked to me like they could have spiked it and had at least 16 secs left, and two shots at the end zone. But calling the play took so long that they didn't snap it until less than 10 secs, and someone false started. By rule the penalty caused 10 seconds to be run off and the game was over. So they got off one play in the last 30 secs. The thing was, because of how long it took them to snap it anyway, it's very likely they weren't going to get off more than 2 more plays anyway. But if he had spiked it, they get the same two plays but aren't in a spastic rush.

Couldn't help but notice on Monday night a play where the Cowboys spiked it to stop the clock - it had to be the quickest I've ever seen a team line up and do it.

Week 1 flashback - SD vs Dallas, I thought that after getting the prayer to give them first and goal at the 7, it was a crucial mistake not running on 1st down. If they get inside the 5, they'd have had 3 shots to score, but Dallas would have to respect the run. Hindsight is 20/20, but I was thinking this as soon as they ran the first play. It wasn't like they had been throwing all over them. And Anthony Henry was looking like Deion Sanders in this game, and that's who they went after on 1st down, IIRC.

Skins/Dallas - seems like the Skins whiffed on a lot of blocks during this game, but I give guys like Dat Nguyen and Roy Williams credit for being tough to block. I just wonder if the real problem with the Skins is there o-line just isn't that good. Also it doesn't seem like it's a Redskins game if they don't get 4 false starts. I think Brunell's going to have to be willing to take off running more often if it's there. I thought it was there at other times other than the long run he had on 3rd and 30 or whatever it was.