View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: People who died, died.

[ QUOTE ]
I am curious (and I am not drawing any conclusions with my question). But, I am interested in knowing whether any atheists here have yet experienced the loss of a loved one (believers can respond too, it is just that I think your experience might not be much different than my own). If so at what age where you or what time(s)in your life?

Did this have any influence on your atheism? Either led toward it, was already pretty much there and convinced you or made no difference. Did it affect your thoughts on your atheism one way or the other.

I ask this question out of personal experience. The losses I that have unfortunately experienced did not necessarily affect my faith (if anything it might have strengthen it, but that is not my point). But, I have more in mind on how they affected me as a person. I think one definitely because wiser in the “process” (perhaps it is just more experienced and wiser is not the right word).

When my father died when I was 29, one of my good friends told me (he had lost his dad when we were in 7th grade) “Welcome to the club”. I knew right away what he meant. And now when I attend wakes I have an empathy to the families. Prior to this I only felt sympathy.

Obviously, I as a believer deal with my grief differently than those of the atheist. I am able to find some solace in the hope that my loved ones are with God. I am not so much asking about atheists grieving process, although feel free to post such thoughts if so desire. Rather, I am more curious to hear some comments if/how death has affected the poster particularly regarding the God issue, but in any manner too is fine.

p.s. To those who don’t know, my subject title alluded to the Jim Carroll song “People Who Died” - btw, not relevant to my post.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I have been most concious of at funerals (Christian) is that death does not seem quite so important ( and convesely life)to the believers. The deceased live on invariably in a better place, in better circumstances with God. I "know" however that there is no after life. The shot at life the person had is finished for the deceased and that death has infinitley more import to the non-believer...it really is over for good and forever.

It doesn't make my atheism stronger or weaker but my experience is I guess differenet and if anything sadder for a given death.