View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Its been a long flight

Having been on airplanes for the last 30 plus hours and now arrived back on the other side of the world, I missed this scintillating exchange. You can assume I banned myself for a couple of days if you like, but tomorrow I go diving in the warm waters of the Andaman Sea so almost nothing can get my mood down on my way to spending yet another season working in the Dive industry. I do have to spend my poker winning somewhere!

Anyway, the exchange was indeed scintillating. I specially recommend re-reading most of DVaut1's posts in this thread. He clearly gets it and could possibly even by anointed (at least by a vote on 1 -- mine) as a World Class Authority on this subject.

For my part, I absolutely announce, that nothing anyone says on this forum would ever offend me, because, I am certain that my opinion of myself is the only one that matters to me.

In seriousness, I am sorry you were offended by my post and the post who ever it was that claimed you could not see past the end of your nose (I am aware I am misquoting the exact words, so forgive me and accept the excuse of being jet lagged please). I will edit and re-edit all posts I make in reply to yours (if any) pass them through multiple tests to ensure that there even the most sensitive person (and I am not implying that you are one, just being safe is all) would not take offense. If there are others who would like to see this filter attached to their names, please let me know (PM is fine). All those on this filter list would be expected to be just as kind to me. I will point out instances where I am aggrieved, but can only hope that the moderator shares my political views so he too can see how I am aggrieved.

Now, it seems in the various examples of what could be considered offensive or not. There seems to be a tendency for most people to claim that what THEY say is not offensive because it is the truth. The implication being that when others say it, it is not the truth. The exchange about Islam is particularly revealing, as it is clear that regardless of the veracity of the claim that the books is the word of GOD, a muslim may actually find that doubting his faith is offensive. Just as devout christians get worked up about interpretations of their religion that do not meet their personal interpretations. But, I for one, will leave the rest of that for another time.

So, in a nutshell, I will be extra careful in what I say to the moderators (as of course they have the power to decide if I am over the line or not), I will watch my fingers and do my very best to be politically correct at all times - which appears to be the goal of this policy formulated by the "right" wing posters on this forum.