View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Live 8 The big lie.

I was misunderstood a bit obviously based on some of the responses.

Moral responsibility
I don't hold the western governments solely responsible for the problems in the poorest countries. In fact most of the damage done in these countries is caused internally. Typically by civil wars and/or corrupt governments.

Solution
Although the problem is not made by western governments they have the solution. Their economic, military and diplomatic powers can be used to get some countries back on track. I don't think that it can be done by the US government just transfering 0.7% money to those goverments. The western powers must find the cause to the problems and solve that while providing aid.

Size of foreign aid
Since other countries have managed to allocate more than 0,7% of GDP I can't see any sensible reason why the same should not be possible in USA. The opposite is very passive thinking, this situation requires action, every global citizen will benefit from this.

And finally, it is possible, poor countries have progressed earlier. You seem to have lost faith, guys. Fight on!

P.S. I am fully aware of the challenges with getting the help to the right place. I was part of a expedition that went to a dictatorship to deliver money to a children's hospital. It was really a tough fight to get those money out from the bank there and make sure it ended up in the right place for the right purpose (local allies were needed for spy-like monitoring of the project, but it was in the end a big success). Without close follow up (like transfering money to the government), I am certain the money would have been spent for champagne and nice cars elsewhere.