View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Is it ever correct.......................

yes and no is the answer to your question, but it is dependend upon too many factors to go into here.

Let's look at what you wanted to accomplish. You wanted to punish what you thought to be an overly aggressive opponent. Why not reraise him 3 times his betting amount?

This would tell you if he had some kind of real hand and if the other person also came along then you would know that you were up against a serious hand and be able to get away from it.

The problem with going AI to defend your blind is that you leave yourself open to attack by a bigger stack or a monster hand that limped. I don't think that you should ever risk more of your stack than is needed to accomplish what you want, ie. don't go all in on a blind steal if you have a big stack against another big stack, because they could have a hand.

What did your AI bet tell your opponents? Maybe it told them that you were tired of losing your blind and were going AI with any two cards not expecting to be called.

You have to be very careful when you are in a pot against and overly aggressive player when someone else is in the pot. You were successful in getting HU, but with the wrong person.

Don't take it personal when people are stealing your blinds, just lay a trap for them or occasionally call and then come over the top on them when the flop comes, or bet into them a fair amount to see how much they want to risk. Most LAG players will fold if someone shows real aggression post flop if they do not have much. And after the flop you would know the value of your hand.

Just remember that AI takes away all your options from then on. When you make a blind steal at 3BB or 4BB you can get away from your hand if someone comes over the top AI or 6BB or more. Don't fall in love with your hand. Leave yourself options.

The AI was too loose of a move in my book with a third person in the pot. If I had AK and you did that in the same situation I would not hesitate to call you, because I would not put you on AA or KK.

Bottom line is don't risk more than you have to, to get the job done. Only you will know that that amount is from your reads of the table and situation and stack sizes compared to blind levels.

good luck