View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: folding top pair on river

Grunching...

Tough hand IMO, especially without reads. This plays drastically different depending on what I know about my opponents. What I'd do if I didn't have any? I'm not sure. I don't think the way you played it was so bad. Your flop 3-bet is for value because you can often times take a free card if you miss your flush, plus you're more than likely going to be good more than your share of the time.

On the turn, the BB decides to donk-bet it again. He could have AJ, AT, 89 for the straight, a gutshot, an oesd, or two cards that he might take a liking to personally. I'd raise this because we've just hit top pair which sometimes might be good by itself.

On the river, and by the way you've played it, I think it's close. You have to be good more than 18% of the time to call this, providing that SB does not decide to 3-bet this. I'm completely boggled by MP2 right here. Without a read, I have no idea what he's holding. AT, KJ, KT, T7, or J7 are all possible holdings. If he's a LAG, I can see him holding J3s or 73s here too and using the same line. Personally, I'd just fold. I'll get to see what MP2 anyhow, and I don't see myself being good here 1 in 5 times.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I would like to know what MP2 is raising with here though.