View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Is Star Wars to blame?!?

[ QUOTE ]
I just recently watched the Star Wars trilogy, and noticed something that could be garbage, or could be a profound realization. Han Solo is to blame for the millions of bad poker players!!! I have come to the conclusion that people just want to be Han Solo and will take huge risks just for the sheer excitement of it! You meet Han in the movie and he is this big gambler/"scoundrel" (as they say in the movie), and he is taking these huge risks trying to evade the Imperial fleet, you have this nitty golden robot telling him the odds of everything he is doing, and Solo is all like "Never tell me the odds!", and it just hit me right there: Han Solo is to blame for all of this! I am guessing a majority of people who play poker have seen the Star Wars movies, and they all just are envisioning Han Solo and the aura of the gambler and risk taker, thinking "I don't want to know the odds, I just want the excitement!" So they sit down at a table, looking for action, looking to chase the impossible, looking to hit the big one, not knowing the odds and not caring, but finally they hit one and are thinking "I am Han Solo!" Maybe not that everyone is thinking they are Han Solo when they sit down at a table, but on a subconcsious level they are thinking about the idea of "never tell me the odds," just go for it, kind of thing. Anyone have thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP