View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Improper odds for the fishies

[ QUOTE ]
No, you are not being stupid at all. There are times when this actually is the best idea. There are times when it isn't. Maybe you could post some examples.

EDIT: The point of playing winning poker is to make other players make mistakes (while you don't make mistakes). Sometimes a raise or reraise can make them play correctly (folding) while a less agressive play (calling) may initiate a call they should not make. What they think is correct is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your edit hits a bit of what I was relating to... when I originally started this thread, it was mostly going to point out looking for overcalls. I derailed my own thread before I even posted it by moving out to more general ideas [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

If your holding the nuts or near nuts, and someone bets into me, many times I will raise even if there are 4-5 behind me and even if they may already have improper odds to call the one bet. This is VERY table specific at times and still worth it amny times, even if this sometimes risks me losing 3-4 BBs. Many players will call even if they are nearly drawing dead even with a raise. Shoot, many players call even if the KNOW they are only drawing to 2 outs. Many players do not comprehend what it is costing them in relation to the current pot, or in relation to EV.