View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Is checking out \"unethical\"?

[ QUOTE ]
"unethical"...bad choice of words by the OP.
"unsportsmanlike" or "not proper poker ettiquette", definitely.
I wonder how the amount of B&M experience influences the opinions on this. I would guess those with 5+ years have a different view than those with less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the problem here. Your a good student.(we are all students of the game) From what I have seen in this thread only those with alot of B&M time (my first game 1981 NL Lowball) seem to understand the "ettiquette" here. I do say it is unethical and is a proper definition for this move.

Funny thing, I used to tell regulars in the 20-40 game at Horseshoe Tunica not to do that when I was dealing and would get a ration of shiit for it. Until one day when a player used this information to raise when he saw the next player folding the 2nd he reached forward. The 4th player went nuts...rightfully so...about offering "protection" to the rest of the table by not folding until action before him was COMPLETED.

It was at this time I immediately made a statemnet about this type of fold when not facing a bet to these same regulars.

Now suddenly people began to see what I was talking about as it relates to this OPS issue here. Even a floorperson who was previously at odds with the "fold" option finally saw the light.

Yet when I spoke to Kenny Lambert the poker room manager when I was the floor person and made the ruling NOT allowing a player to fold unless facing a bet, offering the table protection, he fully supported my ruling.

This is often a highly overlooked "rule" in pokerroom rulebooks. It just never gets there or is thought of. Many with so few years in the business just dont get it.

My last attempt to make some understand. Player A Folds, (I dont care at flop, turn, river, as long as cards are on theboard), Playe A is HIGHLY HIGHLY KNOWN for checkraising 90% of the time when he checks. Now PLAYER C HAS NO PROTECTION. Player B may bet KNOWING he cant get checkraised and only has to get by Player C. And for shiits n giggles, presume player B has a pair smaller than the board...or maybe even a gutshot draw and player C has the underpair...which MIGHT be good.

To those of you that "just dont get it". Try just accepting it as unethical and dont do it.

I could care less what you see on the internet option screen. Those sites were not built by people with understanding of poker. Full tilt has it right tho. hmm..highly influenced by many years of B&M players experience. Interesting isnt it?