Thread: Assessment
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Assessment

I can't tell from your stats how much EV you lost from tilting or playing bad, but you obviously ran really bad. You dropped 168 BB or so...that's a downswing that can happen at LHE.

Your BR wasn't big enough to play those limits (particularly 10/20) without some not insignificant risk of going broke. I don't know whether you are trying to play for a living or whatever, but I hope not because you don't have a BR for it. I would suggest slowly rebuilding your bankroll. Now, even playing 3/6 has some risk of ruin. You need to assess why you are playing poker and whether you are willing to slowly grind your way back up the limits. I think a lot of people in your situation keep playing limits high enough to run a risk of ruin. And I suspect a lot of them bust out at some point and have to find a way to earn outside cash to start the cycle over again.

Personally, as a recreational player myself, I focus on maintaining a discipline to play within my BR and be willing to play a lower limit when appropriate (be it for BR reasons or to work on my game or for game selection reasons). It's not easy, but I think it's the winning play.