View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 07:10 AM

Default a very important 1/2 hand from Vegas last week - did I blow this?.

This is going to be part of a monster post, and as I'm writing about this particular week, there's a key pot I'm wondering if I didn't screw up on the turn. Here's the background, basically.

Two players - me first, then drunk guy. Drunk guy is a 20 something who can't get enough booze and feels like a fish to me. I have been taking a ton of verbal abuse from another player but drunk guy busted him and now it's just the two of us this hand - I'm in the BB. He's not mean, just sloppy and drunk and hiding a beer and young. He did talk with the two guys gunning for me though and was laughing with them a while. He could have ANYTHING, to be honest.

here's how it plays out

Our “hand” - I have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - freebie in BB – drunk limped UTG. maybe one or two more players limped in.

flop - comes 457 with two [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s - I just flopped the nut straight and I can't give a free card to a heart so I bet 20, he calls, anyone else in the hand folds, and it's just the two of us in the hand.

turn - 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] – There are now three [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s on the board and I think I make a blunder –

I turn scared and I check – and he checks.

river - K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - I bet 25 - he pushes to 100 - enough to get me essentially all-in.

I do something I almost never do - I turn to him and start talking, fishing for a tell. He's drunk and he won't be quiet - LOL - I joke and ask him to show me ONE card and he smiles and shakes his head no. He says he doesn't think I made the flush or that it's a small one. He's talking about how I didn't make it and he's pretty sure of it. I've stalled too long before calling and now he knows I don't have something like AK of hearts.

Previously we had an encounter where I flopped bottom set on an A63 board and he pushed me all in - I was afraid of a bigger set and wasn’t sure – I see 6’s trip up a lot and I don’t like AA being slowplayed either. Then he said "Your kicker's no good" - I instacalled and snapped off his AK - so he's not saying things to be deceitful or create bad tells.

I think he not sure if he has me beat but he knows I don’t have a big hand cause I checked the turn and slowed down when he repopped it. I think he has an inferior one too but 27 hearts is good - LOL - He has a light smile, and I have to believe from my evaluation of his play (generally hideous at least cause he was drunk) that I am dealing with a fish, not a shark.

and I made a decision on the river - I want discussion of my turn/river play if you guys are up for it - i'll have 10 or so left on the table - he has 40 left over if he loses but I have $600 in my wallet and more spare scratch then him for sure, so a $100 rebuy is an easy option for me but it MAY be harder for him. but if I lost, I can only buy in for a max of 100 and then a drunk player who got a good piece of me (no doubt playing a hand incorrectly and hitting) had got $300-400 - way more then what I can buy in with in a 100 NL max table.

I made a decision....I don't know if it was right or wrong and I'll discuss how I made it after I get some comments.

I guess I sorta feel if I checked the turn I should have folded to the river re-raise and if I called the river-reraise, then I should have bet on the turn if I was gonna commit money to that pot.

thanks.
RB