View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Having position: could it be mutually beneficial to swap places?

Was away for a while, but I wanted to post my thoughts on answering the question.

I really don't want to discuss here whether I could play 50% of hands profitably in that poker game; I don't know what anyone is doing telling me I can't when they don't even know what game we were playing. What if the game was 3-handed? What if we were playing stud with ante = 1/2 SB? I deliberately left that information out of the OP, I don't think it's really relevant but it was a deep stacked PLO game with some bad players.

I do think switching places is beneficial for both of us, and so it must be bad for the other players at the table. To see why they lose out, suppose we were three handed with me, the rock, and a loose fishy player. Then the best configuration for the fish is to have me on his right and the rock on his left, and he will start to lose money if the two of us switch places. With more players the effect is distributed among all of them: each wants me on the right and the rock on the left, and when we switch places I am further to their left and he is further to their right. They will lose out by having position on me one less time each round, and they won't be in enough hands with him to gain the same amount by having position on the rock.

Hope this interests someone; it helped me get my thoughts straight. TomBrooks I have no idea how you could arrange this on the Internet.