View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Value of positions in football?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This has been bugging me for a while, so I would really like an answer.

Which position in football is the most important to get a star player or at least a decent one? Which positions have the biggest difference between the best players and the worst?

Anyone have any idea or some good links?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if you look at how much each position gets paid (in the NFL) that would give you a good idea of their relative value. I think it goes something like
1 QB
2 OL
3 RB
4 DL
5 LB
6 Secondary
7 wide receiver

This list is mostly a guess, and I have no idea where kickers/punters go.

[/ QUOTE ]

remember that OL is five positions, not 1.

as stated above, QB is most important, and I hate this phrase, but it's really not close. maybe not as important as a pitcher in baseball, but pretty close. the only teams that can win without a good QB need a great running game - which involves a set of offense lineman and a RB or/and a great defense - which is obviously 11 guys, a few of whom are probably standouts.

it also depends on level of play. in high school, a lightning fast/tough RB can carry a team to victories, and a monster linebacker can terrorize an offense. this isn't nearly as true in the NFL.

I really have a hard time saying what position is #2. I would probably say a 3 down linebacker, a guy like Ray Lewis (4 years ago) or Tedy Bruschi

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you want me to break down the OL,
1 LT
2 C
3 the rest of the line is about the same